Detailed Review Of The 10 Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders That Actually Work
It is often a challenge for bird watchers to put up feeders thanks to the presence of banes like raccoons and squirrels who are constantly on the hunt to get what they want. Squirrels always want a piece of whatever a bird is having and can go to any lengths to snatch it away – they jump from branches and rooftops and even five feet from the ground chewing through barriers. It is often difficult for birders to keep their bird feeders safe from the wrath of raccoons, rats, and squirrels.
The real question is, how do you plan to keep such obstacles away while preparing food for a wild bird?
The solution is simple – use squirrel proof bird feeders!
squirrel proof bird feeders (squirrel busters) allow you to put their food safely without the unnecessary intrusion of food robbers.
Also, ensure that while installing your bird feeders, you install it at a safe distance from your home and the nearby walls and trees. This will cut the accessibility that these little thieves might have both to your feeder and your own home.
If you are looking for the best squirrel proof bird feeder, you have come to the right place – this article will help you find some of the best bird feeders that the market has to offer!
Check also: Best pet birds for beginners
Why do you need a squirrel proof bird feeder?
The first and foremost job of a squirrel proof bird feeder is to prevent squirrels from feasting on your bird seeds and protect them instead. There are different kinds of wild bird feeders available in the market. These may include wooden bird feeders, tube bird feeders, metal bird feeders, caged bird feeders, cool bird feeders, automatic bird feeders, etc.
Given the vast number of bird feeders available in the market, you may ask the most obvious question – how do birds find bird feeders?
Given the popular myth that birds reject their babies if humans have touched them, the lesser-known fact is that birds have no sense of smell – the essential way of finding food for them is through sight. So, if they see food in a feeder, they automatically get the idea that this is where they will find food.
Birds often recognize the primary feeder as a food source as there are feeders in the neighboring yards quite often. Sound plays a crucial role too. For example, it is a mandate for birds to drink fresh water regularly, and to find so, they listen intently for the sound of water. It is then that they go foraging in foliages and bushes. Birders make the most of opportunities like these by placing their bird feeders along these lines.
Check Also: Best African Grey Parrot Toys
In a hurry? here is our top pick followed by the top 10 best squirrel proof bird feeders we reviewed in this article organized in a table:
Our Top Pick
- Free Cardinal Ring To Attract Northern Cardinals.
- Made Of A Special Chew-proof Material Roxresin.
- Seed Ventilation System Keeps The Seed Fresh Longer.
- The Patented Adjustable Spring Mechanism Allows You To Control Which Size Birds Will Feed On Your Squirrel Buster.
- Designed To Be Dismantled By Hand Into Individual Components Without The Use Of Tools.
|Image||Product Name||Top Features||Editor Rating|
|#1||Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder||Free Cardinal Ring To Attract Northern Cardinals., Made Of A Special Chew-proof Material Roxresin, Seed Ventilation System Keeps The Seed Fresh Longer, The Patented Adjustable Spring Mechanism Allows You To Control Which Size Birds Will Feed On Your Squirrel Buster, Designed To Be Dismantled By Hand Into Individual Components Without The Use Of Tools.||4.9||See Full Review|
|#2||Perky-Pet 312 Panorama Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder||Sure-Lock cap locks lid in place to keep squirrels out, Large seed tray and circular perch lets birds feed from all angles, Powder-coated finish offers rust resistance for durability, Includes a built-in hanging cable for versatile placement, Attracts cardinals, titmice, nuthatches, and a variety of other wild birds.||4.8||See Full Review|
|#3||Brome Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel Proof Feeder||The weight of an adult squirrel automatically closes the shroud denying access to seed, Hang providing an 18-inch/47-cm CLEARANCE on all sides, All feeder parts exposed to squirrels are made of chew proof materials, The patented adjustable spring mechanism allows you to control which size birds will feed on your Squirrel Buster.||4.8||See Full Review|
|#4||Droll Yankees Flipper Squirrel Proof Feeder||The motorized perch ring is designed to start spinning under the weight of a squirrel, Tube bird feeder holds up to five pounds of birdseed and has four feeding ports, Constructed of heavy-duty metal base and cap, Internal baffle is designed to keep seed flowing freely to all four seed ports.||4.7||See Full Review|
|#5||Woodlink 7536 Absolute II Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder||Durable powder coated steel body, Squirrel's weight on perch closes access to seed, Double-sided attracts more birds, Large 2 gallon (12 lb.) capacity, Adjustable weight setting allows you to select size and type of birds to feed,12-Pound mixed seed capacity.||4.7||See Full Review|
|#6||Audubon Natube3 Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder||Squirrel Proof ABS plastic mixed seed tube feeder with four seed ports, Seed ports are totally enclosed in a sturdy powder-coated steel cage, Forest green finish bird feeder holds up to 1.25 lbs of mixed seed.||4.6||See Full Review|
|#7||Stokes Select Double Suet Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder||Cage design allows small birds in to access the suet cake while keeping squirrels out, Suet is a good source of energy and will attract a larger variety of birds to your yard, Squirrel-X4 bird feeder can accommodate two suet cakes.||4.4||See Full Review|
|#8||Perky Pet Squirrel Be Gone II Bird Feeder||Weight-activated perch closes off ports under squirrels’ weight, All-metal construction stands up against squirrels, Removable roof and large opening for easy filling, Powder-coated finish provides rust resistance and durability, Can be hung or pole mounted for versatile placement.||4.4||See Full Review|
|#9||Roam wild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder||Not Just A 100% Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder - Also Baby Squirrel, Has a built-in weather guard to keep the seed fresh and dry to prevent seed clogging, The PestOff bird feeder has Individually spring-loaded perches that never need adjusting, No need to take the whole feeder apart to fill, Very Large Capacity 3 lbs So No Need For Constant Refilling.||4.3||See Full Review|
|#10||Gray Bunny GB 6860 Caged Tube Anti Squirrel Bird Feeder||The big iron cage discourages larger birds like grackles, pigeons and cowbirds, Precisely sized openings to allow in smaller songbirds but not squirrels and larger, undesirable birds, Four well-spaced feeding ports allows for multiple birds to feed simultaneously, Premium steel cage, Long lasting and chew-proof.||4.2||See Full Review|
Why are squirrels and other small animals attracted to bird feed?
Squirrels love eating bird seeds - they continue to feed on them until the feeder entirely runs out of supply. Although squirrels are known to be herbivores in nature, it has often been observed that they have been feeding on young birds, bird eggs, and other small animals when their source of food is limited.
Placing a bird feeder where a squirrel can have full access to the bird seeds can only mean that these oblivious little thieves will keep no stones unturned till they devour every last bit of your expensive seeds while your birds are left with nothing.
You must be wondering the most fundamental questions right now - how to keep squirrels out of bird feeders?
The solution is simple again – offer foods that squirrels are not fond of and place the bird feeder far from the trees from where squirrels can't jump! These are the most primary ways of distracting and keeping squirrels away while ensuring that your bird gets enough food and nutrition! You may also run some oil and petroleum on your feeder – this will also ensure that the intruders are left on their own.
You May Also Like: Best Bird Cages
TOP 10 BEST squirrel proof bird feeders Reviews
Squirrel-proof bird feeders are the safest way to keep squirrels at bay! Feeders not only ensure that your birds get the right kind of nutrition they deserve and that they have a place to come to, but they also ensure that they keep your birds' foods safe from the unwanted guests that tend to eat everything up at one go!
If you are an avid bird feeder, then you have come to the right place – here are the ten best bird feeders that the market has to offer.
- The big iron cage discourages larger birds like grackles, pigeons and cowbirds
- Precisely sized openings to allow in smaller songbirds but not squirrels and larger, undesirable birds
- Four well-spaced feeding ports allows for multiple birds to feed simultaneously
- Premium steel cage
- Long lasting and chew-proof
These caged bird feeders from the house of Gray Bunny offer both functionality and elegant design – it has all the elements to make both you and your birds happy! These metal bird feeders are chew proof, which means they are completely capable of frustrating the oblivious thieves, better known as squirrels.
It has been designed in such a way that the seed pipe stays right at the center, and is completely capable of preventing the uninvited guests out of way from the bird food. This product also has four feeding docks, which lets you enjoy the sight of the birds feeding and the multiple colors simultaneously.
Although these metal bird feeders have been categorically designed for small birds, even large birds with elongated beaks can access the seeds. This can only be a trivial issue if you are looking to feed the tiny birds only. At the same time, big birds capable of pulling off such stunts can be quite resourceful too!
You should consider buying the Gray Bunny GB 6860 Caged Tube Feeder if you are passionate about birds and want to give bird feeding their best shot. Also, it comes at a great price which makes it worth the shot and the money spent.
Check also: Best Parrot Food
- Worth the money well spent.
- Stunning model.
- Prevents the squirrels at bay.
- Chew proof metal body.
- Easy refill.
- 360-degree access.
- Prolonged beaked birds may have access but if you are only looking to feed tiny sized birds, this feeder may not be the best to pick.
- Not Just A 100% Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder - Also Baby Squirrel
- Has a built in weather guard to keep the seed fresh and dry to prevent seed clogging
- The PestOff bird feeder has Individually spring loaded perches that never need adjusting
- No need to take the whole feeder apart to fill
- Very Large Capacity 3 lbs So No Need For Constant Refilling
This product from Roamwild does a fantastic job when it comes to keeping the squirrels away. The product is highly recommended by professional bird feeders as it helps you keep yourself and the yard secured from the pesky hunters.
This bird feeder is quite large considering its 3 lb capacity, which gives you just about enough time till the next refill. It also has a built-in mini-baffle and cover system that ensures that no squirrel ever gets access to the seed tube or the seed dispenser.
The other most crucial feature of this product is its perch plan that blocks the food access automatically when a big bird or a squirrel hops on to it, and it opens the moment they go far from the scene. This product also happens to be chew proof as it is a metal made feeder, which means the seeds stay protected at all costs.
The Roam wild PestOff Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder is everything you should consider given its durable body and vital features – this product is among the best bird feeders that the market has to offer!
- Easy installation.
- Perch hatch shuts by itself the moment an outside force attempts to hop on to it.
- Comes at a high price.
- Convenient to clean.
- Huge refill capacity.
- Chew proof steel body.
- Hang it hoisted above than 4" else the plastic tube might be in danger if a squirrel gets access to it.
- Weight-activated perch closes off ports under squirrels’ weight
- All-metal construction stands up against squirrels
- Removable roof and large opening for easy filling
- Powder-coated finish provides rust resistance and durability
- Can be hung or pole mounted for versatile placement
This product from Perky Pet is a delightful, functional, and yet practical design. The Squirrel Be Gone II Feeder has a strong resemblance to all the good old-fashioned wooden bird homes that you might have seen in your formative days. The beautiful design is an excellent addition to your yard, while it is entirely squirrel resistant.
As a squirrel hops on this bird feeder; its weight automatically activates the seed protection, thus covering all the seeds ports. This leaves the intruder with no option but to move far away!
This squirrel feeder can hold birds' food of around 8 lbs, this gives you enough time to check until the next refill. The best part about this bird feeder from Perky Pet is that even the most expert birders have given it a five-star rating!
A product with great ratings, sturdy design, and upscale features will top your priority list if you are a passionate bird feeder!
- It can be cleaned easily.
- Easy refilling method.
- Easy assembling.
- Sturdy, durable, and anti-chew, is purely made
- Highly practical and affordable.
- If a squirrel is smart enough, it can stand on the ledge and easily trick the weight sensor, causing weight reduction and reach for the feeder.
- Cage design allows small birds in to access the suet cake while keeping squirrels out
- Suet is a good source of energy and will attract a larger variety of birds to your yard
- Squirrel-X4 bird feeder can accommodate two suet cakes
Bird feeder from Stokes Select possibly happens to be from the best-caged bird feeders in the market. This cage bird feeder ensures that no seed is ever touched by the squirrels except it is very small, in which case, it may fall down the cage naturally.
This happens to be the most effective products that are available in the market – the cage ensures that it keeps away the squirrels even though they aim their level best to intrude while the lid ensures that it can only be lifted through enough force, which no squirrel is capable of.
This product can handle two suet cakes in one go which gives you enough time till the next refill is due. These metal bird feeders are large enough for birdies to have access but very tiny for squirrels at the same time. This product is also weatherproof and has been priced lower than its suet counterparts.
In case you are an avid bird enthusiast, you should also know that upon investing in this product, a part of your investment will go to bird conservation and habitat. There is no nobler job than protecting these stunning creatures and their natural habitats.
- Easy installation.
- A tight-tailored cage that keeps the squirrels far from entering.
- Tiny birds can right now get entertained without the threat of any predators.
- The stunning circular pattern enables you to get a 360-degree view of all the action.
- It can get a bit messy at times as the cage may let go of the suet if it is too small.
- Squirrel Proof ABS plastic mixed seed tube feeder with four seed ports
- Seed ports are totally enclosed in a sturdy powder-coated steel cage
- Forest green finish bird feeder holds up to 1.25 lbs of mixed seed
If you are searching for caged bird feeders, then Audubon Natube3 Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder is the best product you must consider for your dear birds. It features a well-made cage that is sturdy and durable. It is extremely difficult for squirrels to get in, given the body build-up of the squirrel and the heavy intruder's weight.
This is the most sought after tube bird feeder as it is impenetrable. You can safely place the seeds in the round cage located at the center of the feeder – this will ensure that while the small birds can feed and enjoy your treats with joy, it will leave no stone unturned to let the squirrels know that this is not their place to be!
These tube bird feeders have four seed docks that allow you to enjoy watching the birds' color feeding on your seeds. Nothing can ever measure up to the joy of watching your birds feed while you don't have to worry a dime about the unwanted intruders, and hence, this product is the best bird feeder that you should consider buying.
- Caters exclusively to small birds.
- It has a lock-in feature that allows only birds to enter.
- Is capable of holding a quarter pound of seeds.
- It has a protective top cap that saves your seeds from natural misfortunes like heavy showers and breeze.
- The cage helps you to keep the squirrels away.
- It is not built for large birds.
- The motorized perch ring is designed to start spinning under the weight of a squirrel
- Tube bird feeder holds up to five pounds of birdseed and has four feeding ports
- Constructed of heavy duty metal base and cap
- Internal baffle is designed to keep seed flowing freely to all four seed ports
The Droll Yankees Squirrel Proof Feeder is indefinitely the best tube bird feeder available in the market. Genuine to its described features, this happens to be the best squirrel proof bird feeders cause no squirrel is strong enough to get through this feeders' brilliantly planned rotating system while trying to steal your expensive bird seeds.
The feeder has a weight-activated, motorized squirrel proof structure. This means that it spins uncontrollably the moment a squirrel tries to barge in. Though the birds may fly away in such a situation, a squirrel falls flat on the pitch. If a squirrel tries to hop on to the feeder successfully, they get a good spin until they give away! Most of the time, these spinning squirrel proof bird feeders are successful in doing so! Its sturdy design ensures that it stays not only intact for the most extended amount of time, but it also successfully feeds your birds as much as it can without sparing anything for the unwanted intruders.
- Sleek and sturdy design.
- Highly beneficial for birds in winning the seeds.
- It rotates fast with the increasing load of the intruder.
- High-speed capacity.
- A great region for birds to rest around.
- The seeds may fall during the spinning – such circumstances can be controlled by ground feeders.
- The weight of an adult squirrel automatically closes the shroud denying access to seed
- Hang providing an 18-inch/47-cm CLEARANCE on all sides
- All feeder parts exposed to squirrels are made of chew proof materials
- The patented adjustable spring mechanism allows you to control which size birds will feed on your Squirrel Buster
Brome has done a fantastic job with this product as it happens to be the best metal bird feeders of all time. Brome makes its role very clear with the word 'buster' that it is here to help you eradicate the food thieves in your yard!
Although there are tons of ways to eradicate these little villains like rubbing oil or hanging the food far from the trees on a ledge or fence in places inaccessible to the squirrel, the best way to get rid of them is to buy anti squirrel bird feeders.
These cool bird feeders from the house of Brome are extremely easy to assemble and install. You can also dismantle this product very quickly, only by using your hands without using complicated tools!
This feeder also has a flexible spring mechanism that lets you manage your preferred birdie size to feed. This bird feeder is right to its quality, and it comes at a great deal too!
- Easy installation.
- Adjustable bird sizes.
- It can be cleaned conveniently.
- Birds can either feed via the mesh or can perch.
- The small ports make it difficult for chunky birds to feed on.
- Sure-Lock cap locks lid in place to keep squirrels out
- Large seed tray and circular perch lets birds feed from all angles
- Powder-coated finish offers rust resistance for durability
- Includes a built-in hanging cable for versatile placement
- Attracts cardinals, titmice, nuthatches, and a variety of other wild birds
Perky Pet offers some of the best spinning squirrel proof bird feeders in the market. They make fantastic types of equipment that are both sturdy and durable, along with great designs.
The Perky Pet 312 Panorama Bird Feeder offers rust-free materials, a tray-patterned feeding system, and a sure lock cover. This product also comes at a very reasonable rate making it the most preferred ones. It has a carrying capacity of 2 lb which gives you enough time until the next refill.
Apart from this, these metal bird feeders offer a 360-degree view, which allows you to watch from every angle possible and ensure that you are susceptible to every action. The lid also happens to be incredibly challenging to open, thus keeping the squirrels away! If you like to watch, your pretty birds feed and get all the nutrition they deserve while keeping the squirrels at bay, this product is your best bet!
- This product keeps the seeds secure and intact from external elements.
- Features an extremely tight lid which the squirrels cannot open.
- It has been built of rust-free materials.
- Has a carrying capacity of a minimum of 2 lb.
- Features a 360-degree view that entitles you to keep a watch every part of the action that takes place.
- A squirrel can still nibble some seeds if it is clever enough to discover an extension to hold on.
- Free Cardinal Ring To Attract Northern Cardinals
- Made Of A Special Chew-proof Material Roxresin
- Seed Ventilation System Keeps The Seed Fresh Longer
- The Patented Adjustable Spring Mechanism Allows You To Control Which Size Birds Will Feed On Your Squirrel Buster
- Designed To Be Dismantled By Hand Into Individual Components Without The Use Of Tools
The Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel Bird Feeder happens to be the best anti squirrel bird feeder in the market based on our research which considers hundreds of customer reviews on different markets and social media platforms. It is very challenging for squirrels to access this feeder's system, and the average grown-up squirrel’s weight shuts the lid automatically. As a result, a squirrel fails to get access to and meddle right then and there.
This bird feeder uses a chew-proof material called Rox Resin. It is a known fact that sometimes squirrels can get ambitious, and they can gnaw on the sturdiest lumber or the most laborious plastic. While, with Rox Resin, this is not the case. Also, it has tiny dispensing holes from which an invader cannot pass, so they can't access the food source at all! All these exceptional features make this product from Brome the best squirrel proof bird feeder that the market has to offer.
- It can be cleaned easily.
- Can’t chew proof material like Rox Resin.
- Uses a ventilation system particularly made for seeds.
- The squirrel’s complete weight gets measured immediately by the perching zone.
- The squirrels’ pressure causes the lid to close immediately.
- This permits squirrels to remain on the edge.
- Ceases to be squirrel proof if placed too low.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is imperative to have questions when you are looking for the perfect bird feeder; after all, there are various factors to consider when you are looking for one. It is okay to be nervous while selecting a feeder, especially if you are new to it. It is okay to have questions, no matter how basic they are! The following are some of the most frequently asked questions that will help you decide what kind of bird feeder you might be looking for.
Why do squirrels eat from bird feeders?
Where should I put my bird feeder?
Why are no birds coming to my feeder?
How far from the house should bird feeders be?
Which bird feeder attracts most birds?
There are a ton of feeders available in the market which you can choose from. These include – regular hopper feeders, tube bird feeders, metal bird feeders, caged bird feeders, freestanding bird feeders, and automatic bird feeders. It is solely your choice, depending on the kind of birds you would like to feed, as mentioned above.
How to clean bird feeders?
Finding the perfect bird feeder can be an excruciating job, especially if you are new to the entire ordeal. Being a feeding enthusiast, you must want nothing but the best for your birds. The joy of watching them feed keeps you going, and your only goal is to eradicate vile thieves like squirrels, rats, and raccoons.
With the reviews mentioned above, along with the most frequently asked questions answered, this article will surely help you opt for the best bird feeders available in the market – all you need to do is pick your choice and go ahead. While picking and choosing may be a tricky option to deal with, the detailed reviews along with the specifications and pros and cons of every product in this article have surely left very little for you to worry about!
Now you can lay back and watch your birds enjoy their meal in peace while letting your bird feeder do its job! Happy feeding!