Top 9 Best Dog Nail Grinder Reviews, Comparison, and Guide
Caring for your loyal companions is no easy task. Some of them can be fussy when it comes to nail grooming. Most dogs are not in love with the idea of having their nails trimmed. It can be that they simply do not like being held like a captive, or it may be because the previous nail trimming exercise was not a very pleasant one.
Whether your furry friend likes it or not, this hygiene routine is not one that you can ignore. Avoiding the pet nail trimming routine might put your furry friend in trouble. It can tear off easily or get caught on any hard surface or carpets, which might cause a lot of pain to the dog.
An increasing number of pet owners are opting for grinders when compared to dog nail clippers, considering the safety and ease of use. After you have started using the dog nail grinders, we bet you will not go in for any other alternative tools.
This article takes you through the top 9 dog nail grinders that you should add to your new puppy checklist, to help you choose the best dog nail grinder for your furry friend.
Suggested Reading: Best Dog Foods For Allergies
Difference Between Dog Nail Grinders VS Clippers
Grinders help in shortening the length of your dog’s nail to a safe length by grinding their ends. It comes with a nail grinding tip to wear down the sharp tips and get them to an ideal length. However, It does take more time than a regular dog nail clipper. Grinders may also be good for dogs with tough nails, or if your dog has black nails, it may be difficult to be precise using a regular clipper, some nail grinders, such as Furminator Nail Grinder, are equipped with an automatic led light which will help you a lot in finding the nail quick.
Most pet owners prefer using nail grinders owing to the ease of use. The best grinder will help in smoothing the dog’s nail. Also, if you happen to own a medium to large dog, pet nail grinders would work well for them.
Clippers, on the other hand, work like the regular clipping tools which you can use to trim the nails of your dog. They come with curved blades, so they conveniently hold the nail.
Those with smaller dogs would like to go for scissors, or even better guillotine clippers as their nails are not thick and can be easily clipped. Clippers are also for those impatient canines who are not very keen on spending plenty of time in nail grooming.
Even before we delve into the reviews of the different options available in the market, let’s look at the advantages and drawbacks of the dog grooming nail grinder tool.
Pros Of Dog Nail Grinders
- Reduces the risk of cut, pain, and bleeding.
- Using grinders will also reduce any injury due to accidental scratches or hits to your pup's nail.
- Reduce the sharp end by filing and smoothening. Can be a replacement to nail file usage.
- Many varieties such as battery-operated, rechargeable ones, cordless tools, etc.
- Reduces anxiety as it does not produce much noise.
- Ideal for dogs that have thick nails.
- Avoids cutting near the quick, which is very painful.
- It allows you to indulge in a guilt-free nail grooming experience for your pet.
- Unlike the clippers, it does not produce sudden cracking noises.
- Saves you from expensive visits to the grooming clinics.
- Pets will have more rounded and smooth nails.
- Affordable tools.
- Highly portable and can be used anywhere.
- Operates on the motor, which makes nail grinding effortless.
- Can adjust the speed as per requirements.
- It will not cause nail breakage.
- Grinders will not cause pinching of your dog quickly.
- Ideal for dogs with clipper anxiety.
Cons Of Dog Nail Grinders
- Time-consuming process - it takes more time to grind your dog's nail than clipping.
- Noisy grinders can also be a cause of anxiety in your canines.
- Battery changes, recharge, and replacement may be required.
- Expensive when compared to clippers.
- Produces a lot of fine dust from filing.
Nail Grinders or Clippers? You can use whatever type you are comfortable with, and whatever works best for your dog. It’s always a good idea to get some styptic powder to stop bleeding in case you cut a nail too short. If you don’t have styptic powder on hand, corn starch may work too as a temporary solution as it will only stop bleeding quickly but it won't disinfect or nimb the pain.
Tip: We always recommend consulting a professional groomer for first-time dog owners and in case you accidentally cut the quick and faced dog nail bleeding we encourage you to seek veterinary help immediately.
You may also like: Best Chew-proof Dog Beds
Our Recommendations: TOP 9 Best Rated Dog Nail Grinders
Presented here are the top 9 variants in our dog nail grinder reviews, intended to help you pick or find the most convenient one for your dog. We have tried to include diverse models based on size, speed settings, wireless ones, rechargeable so you can choose the perfect one for your beloved pup.
LuckyTail Dog Nail Grinder
This dual-speed, wireless, rechargeable grinder turns you into a professional without leaving your home. LuckyTail is ideal for a full pet-friendly trimming service.
The device produces less than 40 decibels of noise while in operation, making trimming stress-free – perfect for anxious pets. In addition, the powerful motor allows you to quickly and easily trim their claws.
The grinder comes with an automatic LED light, two speed modes, and three ways of grinding that help achieve a precise nail trim. LuckyTail provides a safe cover to ensure your dog’s fur doesn’t get caught in the spinner, and also keeps the dust down. They also have different – hard and soft – grinding heads for customizable performance.
- Ideal for all breeds of dogs, and other animals
- Light and ergonomic in hand
- Wireless & USB rechargeable
- Whisper-quiet, with an ultralight vibration motor
- Grinding bit protector
- Slightly more expensive, but worth it for the features
Overall, it’s the best performing nail grinder, ensuring a safe and effective way to trim your dog’s nails.
Dremel 7300-PT Dog Nail Grinder Kit
If you are looking for a high-end option that serves as a complete grooming kit, look no further than the Dremel. It is sure an expensive option; however, it can be your dog's favorite tool due to its seamless operation.
This professional dog nail grinder comes in a 9-piece kit with all the necessary accessories and tools. It has the cordless pet nail groomer with the USB charging cable, power adapter, user manual, 2-year warranty card, quick start guide, etc.
The Dremel 7300-PT is a powerful cordless pet nail rotary tool, comes with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that can be charged using the USB cable. The design and smooth texture make it comfortable for the user to handle it with ease. It also comes with different speed options to use based on the thickness of your dog's nails.
This dog grooming nail grinder comes with a patented EZ twist nose cap to easily change the accessories and is touted to be one of the top dog nail grinders for dogs.
- 45-degree angle to make nail grinding easy and safe.
- Comes with a paw safety guard to protect your pup's nail and collect the dust.
- Convenient placing of on/off and speed selection buttons.
- Soft and comfortable grip.
- Slightly more expensive than other variants.
- It is a bit noisier option.
You will have to get your pet used to the grinder's sound to make it a pleasant experience for both the groomer and your dog. The price should not be a deterrent if you are looking for a comfortable and safe way to trim your dog's nails.
Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder
If you are looking for a safe and effective way to trim your dog's nails and happen to own a pack of canines at home, Hertzko is a perfect choice.
This rechargeable electric dog nail grinder comes with 3 different ports to use with small, medium, or big dog breeds. You can safely use the first two ports for trimming nails of small and medium-sized dogs.
However, if you own a medium-sized dog, you can completely remove the cover to help grind large and thick nails with ease. When I say ease, it is because of the diamond stone material used on the grinder that makes the whole exercise easy. The diamond bit grinder stone makes it safer and more effective than the regular nail clippers that can hurt your pet.
It comes with a super quiet motor that makes it ideal for use in pets that are very anxious during the grooming sessions. Say bye to that anxiety with this powerful yet gentle dog nail grinder.
Maintaining and cleaning this equipment is also relatively easy. You can simply remove the cap over the grinding stone and clean it.
- Super quiet and low vibration motor.
- Comes with a USB wire for recharge.
- Simple and easy to assemble.
- High on portability.
- Easy maintenance.
- Ideal for dogs of different sizes
- One speed motor.
The single-speed motor is not a flaw worth mentioning since it comes with three different ports. It is a must-have for pet lovers who have an odd assortment of canines.
FURminator Dog Nail Grinder
Your dog will feel quite comfortable around this nail grinder as this is yet another dog grooming nail grinder that only produces a slight hum. It is a lightweight and compact grinding tool that is high on performance and safe for pets and pet parents.
The ergonomic design simplifies the otherwise arduous task of the grooming routine and the automatic led light makes it best for dogs with dark nails. It is also a piece of cordless equipment that makes it more convenient to use around your pets.
Pet parents are no longer required to ignore the nail trimming routine in fear of hurting their pet, as it does not cause sore paws.
In case you are traveling out with your pet, this silent dog nail grinder easily fits in your suitcase. You also will not need any recharge as it works on four AA batteries.
It also comes with 2 replaceable grinding bands and 4 AA alkaline batteries in the package. The product comes with a dual-motor speed to adjust the grinding speed as per the requirement.
- Easy to use design with a grip handle.
- High-performance motor.
- Does not require electricity
- The package includes extra grinding bands.
- Comes with a protective cover on the top.
- Safer option as fur does not get caught in the spinner.
- The second speed setting is a bit loud.
- Causes overheating of the nail if used continuously.
Overall, it is the best buy at a price with dual settings and portability standing out in this option. For pets and pet parents who are anxious about the noise can run the grinder in low-speed settings.
ConairPRO Professional Silent Dog Nail Grinder
Producing less than 50 decibels of noise while in operation, this is one of the most silent dog nail grinders available in the market. You and your dog will hardly notice the sound while attending to the routine grooming sessions.
Thus, it turns out to be the best option for canines who are intolerant or scared of loud noises.
It comes with a powerful motor that can grind your dog's single nail within 5 seconds, making it quite easy and quick.
This powerful nail grinder works on electricity, and it can be conveniently plugged into a power outlet on the wall. The package is inclusive of two interchangeable grinding stones and 4 bands. This allows you to use the grinder on all types of breeds.
It also features a protective adjustable cover to ensure your dog's fur does not get entangled in the spinner. Replacing the grinder heads is also easy, and the package also includes the necessary tools for the same.
- Conveniently placed control buttons for easy use.
- Lightweight yet powerful design.
- Ideal for all types of dogs.
- Less time required to grind down nails.
- Even at 7500 RPM, it is still a quiet motor.
- Adjustable nail safety guard also keeps off the dust from coming on your face.
- Comes only at one speed.
- Cannot be used without a power outlet.
Even though it functions only one speed, it has just enough power to wear down thick nails. It works well for small and medium dogs while it might take more time with your bigger canines.
Oster Gentle Paws Less-Stress Dual Speed Nail Grinder
This battery-operated cordless dog nail grinder is ideal for all breeds types as it comes with two coarse bands, one fine band, and a coarse stone. The fine band helps in achieving precise nail trim. It also protects trimming your dog's nails too deep in the form of an adjustable cover.
This also collects the dust from the filing and traps it, so it does not dirty up the place and also you are not exposed to the dust. It is a complete accessory for grooming your pets, starting from grinding down the thick nails to filing the soft ones without hurting the paws.
This silent dog nail grinder works on four AA batteries and is compact enough to fit in your carry on while you travel. You can also use it outdoors as it is cordless and does not require electricity.
It comes with a design that makes it comfortable to handle without adjusting your pet's paw several times. You will be surprised that the motor produces a sound that is only a bit louder than a gentle whisper. So, you do not have to spend a lot of time calming down your pet, just make sure he/she gets used to the gentle hum before beginning the grooming session.
- Affordable professional-grade nail trimmer.
- Quiet Operation.
- Tidier and safer option.
- Cordless features make it more comfortable.
- The speed is too high at times.
- Takes more time to grind down nails in larger dogs.
If you are on a tight budget and need a good quality professional dog nail grinder, this is the option if you know how to handle it carefully.
Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder Ergonomic Silicone Sleeve
The Dual Speed setting is the highlighting feature of this grinder. You can use it at a 7000 and 12,000 RPM grinding wheel speed to grind down your pooch's nails. Having Andi's Pet nail grinder at home makes your furry companion's pedicure routine stress-free, easy, and fast. You no longer will have to make frequent visits to the vet or dog grooming clinics.
This canine nail grinder comes with a silicone sleeve and ergonomic design that makes its use effortless and safe. Comes also with chrome-plated and carbon-edged blades for a better grinding job experience. Even though it functions at high speed, it is still gentle on your puppy's paws. So you can grind your dog's nails without the worry of it hurting your pet.
The 13-piece kit includes all necessary accessories such as a detachable recharge unit with DC jack, a big drum attachment with three sanding wheels, a small drum with two wheels, a wrench, and a soft storage pouch to hold the entire unit. You do not have to invest in additional accessories to make it function.
- Easy control buttons.
- Ideal for all breeds of cats and dogs.
- Low noise.
- Affordably priced.
- Lightweight and Sleek design.
- Friction while grinding causes an overheating problem.
- Does not have grinding bite protections.
Even though it does not have grinding bit protection, it has an auto-stop feature in case fur gets stuck in the machine. You can consider including this nail grinder in your pet's grooming kit for smoother and rounded nails.
Pet Republique Cordless Dog Nail Grinder & Clippers
This Dual speed electric rechargeable grinder is ideal for your small to medium-sized pets. It comes with 3 different grindstone openings to use based on the thickness of the dogs nail.
This professional grinder comes with pet-friendly features such as decreased noise levels as low as 60 dB, less vibration, and a comfortable design to use around pets.
Comes with a quickly chargeable and long-lasting battery to use for a longer duration along with dog nail clippers you can use if your pets are comfortable with them.
You can also choose the grinding area as you prefer by adjusting the cap. In size dogs with thicker nails, you could even annihilate the cap and use it. It also has a charging light that indicates if the battery is at its full capacity. Once it is fully charged, the light will turn blue.
The product also comes with 30 days money-back guarantee which makes it a risk-free option. If you face any issues you will get a replacement or a full refund.
- Step by step instructions to use and charge the device.
- Powerful motor with high and low-speed settings.
- Affordable two in one tool.
- Quick charging.
- Cordless tools can be used anywhere and anytime.
- The motor is weak at a time when it is run at a low speed.
It is an ideal dog grooming nail grinder if you have a small dog as it works well with their nails. You could also use the grinder in conjunction with the nail clippers that come as part of the package.
Wahl Professional Classic Dog Nail Grinder
Weighing at 9 ounces, this battery-powered grinder is a lightweight and quiet nail grooming accessory that suits even the most sensitive pet. It is not only great for the nail trim operation but also ideal for smoothing and shaping rough nails.
The product comes to you from an ardent pet lover community with over a century-old experience in catering to pets' grooming needs. Hence you don't have to be worried about the effectiveness and safety of this product.
The powerful motor operates on 2 CC batteries (not included in the package). It comes with a safety guard that collects the dust as you file your dog's claw. The safety auto-stop option prevents you from the risk of over trimming the nails.
This kit comes with 2 big sanding drums, 5 sanding bands, and a safety cap for its seamless operation. The use of this grinder will not cause any strain on your hands as it comes with a comfortable grip. Just make sure you push away the hair on the paw before you start grinding your dog's nails so that the hair does not get tangled.
- Affordable option.
- Works well for small to medium pets.
- Works at a steady pace of 5400 RPM.
- Comes with a contoured grip for a better grip.
- Comes only with a single-speed option.
- CC batteries are not part of the package.
The cordless option is comfortable to use around your pets, even when you are at home or outdoors. At this price, it also has the features of a safety cap, and auto-stop gives you the best value for money.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Now that you have been through detailed dog nail grinder reviews, you should be better positioned to choose the right one for your canine companion. However, a lot of technical information should have left you with a lot of questions. In the following section, we aim at answering those worrisome questions you may have about dog grooming nail grinders.
Are Nail Grinders Safe For Dogs?
The main reason why many pet parents choose nail grinders is solely due to the safety aspect. They don't want to carry the guilt of hurting their beloved pets while attempting to cater to their grooming needs:
- Nail grinders wear down the dog's nails to a safe length. You will maintain a safe distance from the quick, so you do not end up grinding too much.
- It is also important you follow the instructions given on the package. Use the nail grinders with the safety guard cap initially, and as you get familiar with its working, you can work your way around.
- Make sure you get your dog used to the device's gentle hum and vibration, so he does not panic while. This tool also does not make the sudden cracking sound, causing a lot of anxiety in your pet.
Is It Better To Grind Or Clip Dog Nails?
There has always been this debate regarding dog nail grinder vs. clipper. The best dog's toenail grinder does not produce much noise, and even the appearance of the device is not as intimidating as the clippers.
- The nail grinders work on a motor with the help of power; hence, it does not require much effort from the pet parents' end.
- It also comes with a host of safety features such as adjustable guards, convenient exterior grips, and control buttons for safe and efficient use. Some of the versions also come with an auto-stop option to prevent the fur from tangling in the spinner.
- Helps dogs who are skittish and anxious when they see the clippers. The noiseless operation makes it easier to use, even with the most difficult pet.
How Often Should You Grind Your Dog's Nails?
The frequency of nail trimming can depend on several factors:
- Age: If you have an aged dog, he is less likely to move around and hence will need his nails clipped more often than dogs who are quite active. The younger ones who move around a lot will have their nails against hard surfaces, causing natural wear down.
- Activity: If you happen to take your dog on frequent walks, the nails tend to brush on the surface more often, leading to natural wear down, and will not require clipping or grinding.
- Surfaces: If your dog walks a lot on grass or dirt, his nails will not be exposed to the natural wear out process. Whereas a dog that walks on asphalt, concrete sidewalks, or any other hard surfaces will need a less frequent nail trimming routine.
- Breed of dog: There are a few dog breeds wherein their nails tend to grow quickly compared to other breeds. Also, some small pets such as Chihuahuas, who spend a lot of time indoors, will need to get their nails done more often.
What Happens If You Don't Cut Your Dog's Nails?
- If nails are not kept at a desirable length, it can cause a lot of discomfort to the dog while walking. Your pooch may not be able to put his paw firmly on the ground.
- Long nails are known to cause bone and joint issues in dogs.
- The most pressing concern due to long nails may be the risk of snagging or breakage. This can be a very painful episode for your pet. This might require vet visits, and in the worst cases, it can lead to the removal of the nail.
- There is a possibility of the nails getting curled and growing into the footpads of the dog. This can lead to infections and cause a lot of pain to your pooch.
- Risk of scratching and injury – Long nails can cause injuries to the pets and the owners, especially if they are quite playful. This is quite important if you have kids around your pets.
What Do I Do If My Dog Won't Let Me Cut His Nails?
Patience and Empathy are the keys to get your dog accustomed to this grooming thing.
- Select the tool that your pooch is comfortable with or rather get him/her used to the tool before attempting the nail grinding activity.
- Try handling your pet paws – he must get used to someone holding his paws even before cutting his nails. You can rub your dog's feet gently and treat him with goodies for allowing you to handle his paws.
- Always have another person with you when you are cutting your dog's nails. You can have the other person hold the pet while you do the nail trimming.
- Give him treats – Give him a bone or any of his favorite treats to reward his calm behavior.
- Talk to the vet – if you are having difficulties after trying all this, it may be a good idea to consult the vet on how you can effectively go about this. Each breed may need a different approach.
Thank our paw perfect reviews later for making this rather grueling routine into an easy task. Dog nail grinders are safe and an effective solution to keep your dog's nails smooth and rounded. We have recommended the 9 best variants considering the affordability, convenience, and safety of your pets. Hence after considering all the traits required for nail tools such as noise, value for money, safety, and ease of use, we nominate LuckyTail Dog Nail Grinder as our top pick. You can use this grinder dog nail trimmer under two different modes to suit your pet's nail type. It is lightweight and ideal for use in all breeds of dogs and cats as well. It comes with all the required accessories and additional sanding drums.
No matter which model you are going to choose from our recommendations, be sure you get your canine used to the device before attempting the grooming exercise.